Council decided not to proceed with the Hepburn Hub at The Rex project at the Council Meeting in November 2021. At the meeting Council declared its intention to sell the building. Following that decision, Council undertook a community engagement process, inviting feedback in relation to the intention to sell The Rex. This was in line with requirements under the Local Government Act.
The community was invited to complete a short survey or submit a submission on behalf of a community group in April and May 2022. The survey has now closed. Thank you to everyone who shared their views.
Council considered the next steps at the Council Meeting held on Tuesday 19 July 2022. Council confirmed the decision to proceed with the sale of The Rex. The meeting is available to watch on our Facebook page.
You can read Council's media release on the decision on our website.
The resolution at the July 2022 Council Meeting is as follows.
- Acknowledges the significant community interest and thanks our community for the time invested in providing the feedback;
- Notes the Community Engagement Reports;
- Determines to sell the property known as The Rex located at 49 – 51 Vincent Street Daylesford and house at 8 Duke Street Daylesford, currently on one (1) Certificate of Title, through a public sale process;
- Delegates to the Chief Executive Officer the authority to manage the sale process by appointing an appropriate agent and undertake the sale;
- Request the Chief Executive Officer to provide regular updates on the sale process to Councillors;
- Bring a report to Council to recommend the execution of the Contract of Sale on behalf of Council;
- Sets the Reserve Price for Sale based on the independent Market Valuation received;
- Publicly releases the Reserve Price value following the completion of the sales process that has resulted in final settlement of the contract of sale; and
- Request the Chief Executive Officer write to the Minister Local Government, and the Local Government Inspectorate, noting Council’s disappointment in the delays of the publishing of the investigation into the Rex, and request the report be finalized and published as soon as possible.